Interestingly (in a bad way) when I tried to follow the link in the
email version of Stanford Report, it was blocked by NoScript because it
links you through... wait for it... a tracker ;-[

Would be funny if it wasn't so discouraging.

On 3/15/2013 12:09, Yosem Companys wrote:
> http://alumni.stanford.edu/get/page/magazine/article/?article_id=59976
>
> How much do Internet companies know about us, and what do they plan to do
> with the information? If only we knew.
> By Brian Eule, Stanford Magazine
>
> ASSUMING YOU POSSESS a cell phone and a computer and a credit card, the
> following scenario, or something like it, might sound familiar.
>
> Your morning begins with coffee and a bagel and the morning paper, perhaps
> read on a laptop. You click on stories about Egyptian unrest, the firearms
> industry and Downton Abbey. Two other websites are open on your desktop. One
> of them shows your Facebook account. You notice that you've been "tagged" in
> a photo from last week's poker game, in a pose that suggests one too many
> beers. Meanwhile, a friend has sent you a link to an article in the Onion
> that zestfully parodies a well-known senator. You "like" it.
>
> You head out for your daily commute. At the toll booth, a Fastrak device
> validates the code on your car and records the date and time of your arrival.
>
> You stop for gas. You swipe your debit card. The pump asks for your ZIP code
> and you type it in. As the 20-gallon tank fills, you pull out your smartphone
> and do a quick search for a weekend flight to Chicago. Along with the flight
> schedules and airfares, an advertisement appears about a local concert at the
> same venue where you attended a performance last month.
>
> In the first two hours of your day, computers have recorded that you are a
> likely watcher of PBS, you drink alcohol and you have a penchant for
> irreverent humor. They know you drive a large vehicle and probably have
> family in the Midwest. They know when you go to work and the route you take.
> It's 8 a.m. and you've already left a sizable virtual fingerprint.
>
> Now add the dozens of other electronic transactions you make in a given
> day---every website you visit, every item you purchase online, all the
> searches you do, all the posts you make on social media sites---plus those of
> all your friends. Multiply that by hundreds of days of Internet activity.
> Throw in motor vehicle records, mortgage documents, credit scores, medical
> diagnoses. What does your profile look like now?
>
> Data about all of us lives online, in "clouds," on our web browsers and in
> others' databases. Cell phones show our physical location and track the
> places we have been. Websites display the address and price of home
> purchases, along with the buyer and seller. Advertising agencies know the web
> pages we have visited and the text we have entered online. Increasingly, and
> with increasing sophistication, companies are collecting, analyzing and
> selling data about tens of millions of people. And most of those people have
> no idea when or how it's happening.
>
> "I don't think that people understand all the information that's out there
> about them," says Jennifer Granick, director of civil liberties at Stanford
> [...]

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

    William Pitt (1759-1806)