This is one way to register a complaint: http://capwiz.com/fabbs/home/

Are there others?

BTW, what about other social sciences?  Just political science??

-- Doug

On Mar 21, 2013, at 7:55 AM, Yosem Companys wrote:

> WASHINGTON, March 20, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The following is being
> released by the American Political Science Association:
> (Logo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20120604/DC18511LOGO-b )
> This afternoon, the United States Senate delivered a devastating blow to the
> integrity of the scientific process at the National Science Foundation (NSF)
> by voting for the Coburn Amendment to the Continuing Appropriations Act of
> 2013.
> Senator Coburn (R-OK) submitted an amendment (SA 65, as modified) to the
> Mikulski-Shelby Amendment (SA 26) to H.R. 933 (Full-Year Continuing
> Appropriations Act of 2013).  The amendment places unprecedented restriction
> on the national research agenda by declaring the political science study of
> democracy and public policy out of bounds.  The amendment allows only
> political science research that promotes "national security or the economic
> interests of the United States."
> Adoption of this amendment is a gross intrusion into the widely-respected,
> independent scholarly agenda setting process at NSF that has supported our
> world-class national science enterprise for over sixty years.
> The amendment creates an exceptionally dangerous slippery slope.  While
> political science research is most immediately affected, at risk is any and
> all research in any and all disciplines funded by the NSF.  The amendment
> makes all scientific research vulnerable to the whims of political pressure.
> Adoption of this amendment demonstrates a serious misunderstanding of the
> breadth and importance of political science research for the national
> interest and its integral place on the nation's interdisciplinary scientific
> research agenda.
> Singling out any one field of science is short-sighted and misguided, and
> poses a serious threat to the independence and integrity of the National
> Science Foundation.
> And shackling political science within the national science agenda is a
> remarkable embarrassment for the world's exemplary democracy.
> For the latest in political science research in the news, follow us on
> Facebook and Twitter.
> About the American Political Science Association
> Founded in 1903, the American Political Science Association is the leading
> professional organization for the study of political science and serves more
> than 15,000 members in over 80 countries. With a range of programs and
> services for individuals, departments and institutions, APSA brings together
> political scientists from all fields of inquiry, regions, and occupational
> endeavors within and outside academe in order to expand awareness and
> understanding of politics.
> SOURCE American Political Science Association
>

> RELATED LINKS
> http://www.apsanet.org --

Douglas Schuler
doug...@publicsphereproject.org

Public Sphere Project
     http://www.publicsphereproject.org/

Liberating Voices!  A Pattern Language for Communication Revolution (project)
     http://www.publicsphereproject.org/patterns/lv

Liberating Voices!  A Pattern Language for Communication Revolution (book)
     http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/default.asp?ttype=2&tid=11601