---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Mia Newman <newman....@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 7:15 AM
Subject: USAID/Humanity United Tech Challenge for Atrocity Prevention
To: Sam King <samk...@cs.stanford.edu>

Hi Sam,

Not sure if you remember me, but we talked when I was president of Stanford
STAND for the past few years, and I also remember seeing you around at
LibTech seminars. I'm now working on a Gardner fellowship from the Haas
Center for the year at a foundation called Humanity United, which works on
anti-genocide and anti-human trafficking around the world. One of the
projects I've been working on is called the Tech Challenge for Atrocity
Prevention <http://www.thetechchallenge.org>. The Tech Challenge is a
prize-based challenge that hopes to spark new interdisciplinary
partnerships and new thinking on the application of technological solutions
to daunting problems in conflict situations. It seems like something
totally up your alley, especially because of your work with Code the
Change. I really hope you're interested in participating, but even if not
please feel free to forward widely - we're hoping to spread the word as
much as possible, especially outside the traditional human rights community.

To let you know where we are now: our second and final round formally
launched in early March. Three challenges are now open, soliciting
excellent proposals to compete for prizes of up to $10,000. The open
challenges are:

   - The MODEL <http://www.thetechchallenge.org/#!model> Challenge: to
   model conflict situations to determine community-level risk of violence
   (TopCoder) - *Geared toward technical coders and data modelers
   interested in applying their skills to conflict datasets. The challenge is
   composed of two stages: first to discover data and then to model it. *
   - The COMMUNICATE
<http://www.thetechchallenge.org/#!communicate>Challenge: to
facilitate on-the-ground communication among communities
   affected by conflict (Innocentive) - *Ideal for a wide audience with
   varying backgrounds to apply their experience and creativity to overcome
   the challenge of secure two-way communication.*
   - The ALERT <http://www.thetechchallenge.org/#!alert> Challenge: to
   develop improved methods of gathering and verifying information from
   hard-to-access conflict areas (OpenIDEO) - *This platform was
   specifically selected to channel empathy, ideation, and analysis to help
   communities in conflict inform the wider world about their situation. With
   its multi-stage process, a new part of the challenge is opening every few
   weeks, and we encourage you to continue to revisit the site. *

It would be great if you could pass along this email to anyone you think
might be interested in participating! Feel free to contact me with
questions or comments, and you can also check our
FAQ<http://www.thetechchallenge.org/faqs/Tech_Challenge_for_Atrocity_Prevention_-_FAQ.pdf>for
more information.

Thanks, and hope you're doing well!
Mia