+1 to both of Joe's comments.

Michael, I'm not sure what world you live in, but in the world I live in,
anyone who has information worth considering and is to be respected as a
security adviser would NEVER follow the actions you've suggested.

This is a strawman. The world is a dangerous place, and people get hurt. At
least give them the agency to decide how best to protect themselves. Quite
frankly I think there is a lot of hand-wringing going on, and it really
wastes a lot of people's time.

If Stanford University, who currently hosts the libtech mailng list decides
to change the setup in contravention of democratic process of the list
MEMBERS, then I would hope list members will move to one of many other
options for hosting.

I fully understand that Stanford University may now feel they have some
sort of legal obligation, due, no doubt, in part to less than transparent
actions by a few individuals, robbing the members of the list of agency.
Its the University's legal decision, no doubt, but perhaps someone from the
EFF can kindly call them and let them know this is a straw man.

Is it not worth considering that the constant rehashing of this discussion
is in itself, something reminiscent of the behavior of bad actors
attempting to derail effective organizing and discussion?

regards all.

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 5:43 PM, Joseph Lorenzo Hall <j...@cdt.org> wrote:

> (reply-to-list-only)
>
> On Apr 23, 2013, at 16:39, Michael Allan <m...@zelea.com> wrote:
>
> > Maybe there's a misunderstanding here.  The list subscribers are not
> > responsible for the safe administration of the list.  The university
> > alone is responsible.  It could never pass that responsibility on to
> > the subscribers, even if it wanted to.
>
> There's definitely a misunderstanding. I see mailing lists as
> fundamentally normative negotiations with a foundation of acceptable use,
> whether administered by Stanford or some other entity. Changing the entity
> that hosts a mailman list is one of the most frictionless changes which a
> community can agree to online. So, ultimately it's the list that requires
> persuasion (in my opinion).
>
> --Joe

Brian Conley

Director, Small World News