On 5/15/13 7:17 PM, Sarah Lai Stirland wrote:
http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/newsdesk/2013/05/strongbox-and-aaron-swartz.html

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/backissues/2013/05/strongbox-the-new-yorker-investigates.html
While i really appreciate the "extremely high paranoid" approach of "deaddrop", from a quick overview it seems a little bit overkill.

Imho:

- it goes over a reasonable/widely acceptable level of usability that an average journalist can accept, with dedicated/specialized procedures that maybe difficult to be effectively accepted, for example, by volounteer journalist or activists.

- technically, it does provide an high architectural complexity (very well done, but complex!), that increase the effort required to setup, manage and maintain the infrastructure for the technical team (that maybe run by volounteers).

The very highly paranoy approach of "deaddrob" is very nice, we need diversity of approach in whistleblowing, but i think that the operational complexity is too high for general uses.

At GlobaLeaks we're doing a whistleblowing framework that's want to "lower the entrance barrier" to run a secure whistleblowing platform, making it easy and cheap to run and maintain, while keeping it secure with strong anonymity in mind, but flexible enough for different context of use (see Threat model link in the footer at https://globaleaks.org/).

--
Fabio Pietrosanti (naif)
HERMES - Center for Transparency and Digital Human Rights