I noticed recently that (all?) URLs sent via Google Hangouts automatically get replaced by a Google URL redirection (the way their search results do if you're logged in).

I've not seen any documentation of this on Google's help pages, though.

Sure, Google Hangouts doesn't sell itself on its security, and a redirect is more transparent than secret visits from a Microsoft server. That said, how exactly is this different from what Skype is doing?

~ Pranesh

--
Pranesh Prakash
Policy Director