All,

I am still trying to digest the full significance of everything that has been
disclosed and discussed in the past 72 hours, but the issues that I keep coming
back to in my head, and which I will likely write more about, are:

1. This scandal, and the financial crisis that happened not long after it
really began, represent major situations where all three branches of government
failed, both in their own capacities, and in their role as checks on the other
branches of government.
2. President Obama's defense of PRISM as being court-sanctioned, "entirely
consistent with what we would do, for example, in a criminal investigation," is
so blatantly disingenuous that it truly staggers me. Criminal investigations do
not take place in secret courts that issue secret orders. Some do involve
documents under seal, but to argue, as Obama did, that the FISC is just like
any other court is just wrong. Secondly, (and I have read this point
elsewhere), his implication that members of Congress should have just spoken up
if they were concerned, when doing so would have been considered a crime of the
highest order, is unbelievable. (If you missed it, his speech on PRISM is
transcribed here:
http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2013/06/07/transcript-what-obama-said-on-nsa-controversy/.)

Generally, I am not surprised by any of this. I, like many, already knew that
Palantir does work for the NSA, that the NSA oversteps its reach regularly, and
that government is severely broken. I don't have a cell phone and never have,
this type of scenario being a major reason why.

But to hear the President of the United States--and not George W. Bush--defend
such brazenly unconstitutional activities is deeply, deeply disturbing to me,
and leaves me feeling as though the nation has finally completed its slide into
a larger-than-average third-world autocracy, run by small-minded men who mainly
fear the unknown. Given that I'm a person who asks a lot of questions, it makes
me incredibly anxious knowing for certain that I live there.

Aaron