What about Project Byzantium?

http://project-byzantium.org/

"The goal of Project Byzantium is to develop a communication system by
which users can connect to each other and share information in the
absence of convenient access to the Internet.  This is done by setting
up an ad-hoc wireless mesh network that offers services which replace
popular websites often used for this purpose, such as Twitter and IRC.

These services and web apps were selected because they are the ones most
often used by activists around the world to find one another, exchange
information, post media, and organize.  They were also selected because
they stand the best chance of being easy to use by our intended
userbase, which are people using mobile devices like smartphones, MP3
players, and tablet PCs."

I interviewed some of the contributors for a podcast on Hacker/maker
spaces here:

http://packetpushers.net/healthy-paranoia-2-where-no-nerd-has-gone-before/

Michele