On 18 June 2013 07:01, Bernard Tyers - ei8fdb <ei8...@ei8fdb.org> wrote:
> I also thought Willliam Binney's view that Edward Snowden was potentially
> crossing a line from whistleblower to traitor with the release of information
> about the USA's alleged hacking of foreign computer systems is interesting.
> Is he right? Does it matter?

I think it makes a big practical difference in public opinion.  If the
NSA and CIA was *not* trying to spy on countries like Iran and China -
what would their purpose really be?  Clearly intelligence agencies
should be looking for intelligence on threats to the country*.  I
don't think one of their methods to do so should include dragnet
surveillance of all Americans, but getting a WARRANT to go over the
telephone records of suspected terrorists is the legal instrument
we're pushing for, no?

* Among other things, like looking for incidents of 'bad stuff' other
countries do, to bring to the UN or other bodies: things like
genocide, political imprisonment, censorship, and so on

But if you ask the average citizen "Hey, is giving a list of targets
the NSA/CIA gathers evidence from overseas an acceptable thing for a
[spy]** to give another country in the name of stopping the
human-rights-violating surveillance machine?" I think the answer is
going to be 'No'.  I mean heck, use Binney as an example of the
average citizen.

** The subtleties of "defense contractor" and "spy" are probably lost a bit

-tom