From: kalev leetaru <kalev.leeta...@gmail.com>

Hi everyone, I wanted to let you all know about a new global database of
events from across the world stretching back to 1979 and updated every 24
hours, all georeferenced to the city level, that I think could be of great
interest to many of you in terms of situational awareness, tracking ongoing
humanitarian situations or disasters, and for exploring long-range trends
in areas of concern or focus.  I mentioned this dataset in an email a few
months ago, but I wanted to let you all know that the data is now up and
available for download!

We are excited to announce the official release of the Global Database of
Events, Language, and Tone (GDELT), a new database of nearly a
quarter-billion global social-political events in the CAMEO taxonomy of
over 300 categories from riots and protests to diplomatic exchanges and
peace appeals, covering all countries 1979-present.   Each morning a daily
update is posted containing 30,000 to 100,000 new events from the previous
day, making this the first daily-updated event database available for open
research.  Special emphasis has been placed on enhanced coverage of Africa
and Latin America, producing one of the first cross-national datasets for
South America and the most extensive database for Africa.  The standard
CAMEO actor taxonomy has been enriched with new Religious and Ethnic actor
attributes and all events are now georeferenced to the city level globally.

A second version of GDELT to be released late this fall makes use of
several billion pages of newly available digitized material to extend the
database back to 1800 and will feature the new CAMEO 2.0 taxonomy that
covers an array of new categories, ranging from disease to human rights to
political transitions.  In addition, an array of new emotional and thematic
indicators will be made available that measure the prevalence and views
towards a wide array of topics, from education and women’s rights to
constitutionalism and views towards government, down to the city level
globally.

The vision of GDELT is to construct a catalog of human societal-scale
behavior and beliefs across all countries of the world over the last two
centuries down to the city level globally, to make all of this data freely
available for open research, and to provide daily updates to create the
first "realtime social sciences earth observatory."  All data is therefore
made available for open research of any kind, and an assortment of
tutorials, documentation, and quick-start guides are provided on the GDELT
website:

http://gdelt.utdallas.edu/

Sincerely,
Kalev Leetaru, Phil Schrodt, and Patrick Brandt