Justin Breithaupt <usacomputert...@gmail.com> writes:
>I would like to know what services are available for e-mail that don't
>share my private information, like Gmail does when it shares my info.

A simple answer is: riseup.net (and donate some money to them, if you
can afford to, by the way).

The answer might get more complicated (and more difficult to implement)
the more deeply you delve into your needs, of course.  But for a start,
riseup.net is probably a good place to look.

>I would also like to know the best way to secure a Ubuntu based PC
>against privacy and security problems that allow the government and
>other people into your PC.

This is a more complicated topic.  Use good passwords, only install open
source software, and don't run unnecessary services (e.g., don't run a
web server on your laptop, database server, etc, unless you have to).
Make sure your screen lock goes on automatically; also remember to turn
it on when you leave the laptop alone.  Don't get seen on camera typing
your password.  Etc :-).

(As other replies indicate, really thinking about this problem gets
complicated.)