Moritz Bartl <mor...@torservers.net> writes:
>Surespot looks like an open source alternative:
>
>https://www.surespot.me/
>https://www.surespot.me/documents/how_surespot_works.html

surespot's code may be excellent (I haven't looked at it), but their
front page at https://surespot.me/ makes a promise it shouldn't make:

  | You can delete your message from the receivers phone.
  |
  | Be confident sending private information and pictures.  You have
  | control over your messages, when you delete a sent message it will
  | be removed from the receivers phone and images are not sharable
  | unless you make them so.

Software can't be simultaneously open source on the client side and make
promises about how the client side will behave.  Actually, one can't
really make that commitment even when the client side is closed-source
(for example, if a closed-source app runs on an open source OS, then
when the app tries to delete the message, the OS can retain a copy).
But anyway, the loophole is even easier to exploit when the application
code itself is open source.

Surespot is just one of several apps making such claims.  I wrote a bit
of a rant about this trend here:

  http://www.rants.org/2013/06/09/privacy-promises-and-client-side-betrayal/

Again, this is not about their code, which may be fantastic.  It's just
about their marketing language around the code.

Best,
-Karl