On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 1:54 PM, Collin Anderson
<col...@averysmallbird.com>wrote:

> Wait, forgive me Libtech for amusing myself at the cost of your collective
> inboxes but, is it just me or is the security page on what purports to be a
> security tool empty? https://unsene.com/security.html

"Military-grade encryption", huh? That phrase always makes my spider sense
tingle.

>From their descriptions:

• AES – a symmetric key that is considered to be very strong.  We’re using
the 256 bit version for the free version of our site, which is the maximum
bit key size for this algorithm.  We believe this is broken by the NSA and
we believe it’s either real time or near real time decrypt-able.

• XAES – a more secure and advanced version of AES, ours goes up to 4096
bits, which is über-strong.  Unlikely to be broken as this has been
customized from standard code libraries that aren’t widely known.

Crypto mistake #1: "Our algorithm is secure because nobody knows how it
works." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerckhoffs's_principle

Cool project, but I'm highly doubtful it'll be secure. They're making some
fundamental mistakes, like confusing RSA X-bits with AES X-bits, and
assuming their stuff won't be broken if they don't tell anyone how it works.