Hi folks,

Thanks to the awesomeness that is TA3M [0], I've had a chance to talk
with a few librarians who're somewhat disappointed by the fact that it's
difficult to freely access knowledge at libraries: all Internet access
is filtered and surveiled, reducing the freedom of expression and the
free exchange of ideas.  So, I promised I'd reach out to folks to see
what, if anything, we can do about the situation.

First, what technologies could public libraries employ that would ensure
or best facilitate intellectual freedom, free expression and free access
to ideas when people use the library?  Different libraries will have
different connectivity structures, so this is a fairly broad question.

I think there's a more fundamental question, though, which is figuring
out how to make libraries again responsible for providing unencumbered
access to ideas.  I don't know how to do this.  I could help draft
standards-language for "The Responsibilities of Libraries to the Public"
but perhaps there's already such a document out there that could be
updated or re-enforced.  At this point, I'm trying to start a
discussion.

Thanks for your time,
Nick

0: http://wiki.openitp.org/events:techno-activism_3rd_mondays