On Wed, Aug 07, 2013 at 07:20:21AM +0300, Nadim Kobeissi wrote:
> You will note that this was posted recently. However, 5 weeks ago,
>Mozilla posted a security advisory for Firefox and fixed the issue. Tor
>then updated the Tor Browser Bundle with the fix, 5 weeks ago, *without
>releasing a security advisory.* You released the security advisory after
>shit hit the fan, this week

Just to clarify: the security advisory I wrote this week was telling
users that an exploit had been seen in the wild, and explaining what
we knew about that. This was not intended to be a five-weeks-late
by-the-way-there-was-a-vulnerability announcement. We already told people,
five weeks ago, to upgrade, and set the TBB homepage to tell them "There
is a security update available for the Tor Browser Bundle. Click here
to go to the download page." The novel thing here was that a potential
vulnerability, which Mozilla had described as "This crash is potentially
exploitable" when they put out their fix, was actually exploitable in
practice and was being actively exploited. The advisory was intended to
make people aware of the new situation, and also collect some facts into
one place.

> The advisory you released this week should have
>been released 5 weeks ago for Tor Browser, on the day Mozilla released
>an advisory for Firefox, and on the day you updated Tor Browser.
>
> I spoke with Roger and he in fact confirmed that no advisory was
>released by Tor five weeks ago when Tor fixed the vulnerability. Tor
>waited until the exploit was in the wild.

We did in fact wait until the exploit was in the wild to tell people
that the exploit was in the wild.

How we (including the broader community) can keep users informed
about the security state of their software is indeed a fine question
to ponder. But it's not clear to me that this "you didn't tell them"
"yes we did" "well you should have told them differently" format is
the right way to make progress.

(And we should also listen to folks like Andy, who point out that
there's never going to be a simple answer. I've been involved in too
many "I wonder if that bug we just fixed is really exploitable, and how
we should classify it" discussions to believe that the predictions are
always accurate -- and they can be inaccurate either by overestimating
or by underestimating.)

--Roger

--
Liberationtech list is public and archives are searchable on Google. Too many