On 2013-08-12, at 8:53 PM, Collin Anderson <col...@averysmallbird.com> wrote:

> Libtech,
>
> A friend passed along little noticed comments by Gen. Hayden in June, which I
> would suggest are the most direct elaboration on the differences between the
> American security apparatus and piracy development efforts. The actual
> interview is long, but there is one statement in particular that would serve
> everyone to read and share wherein Hayden speaks openly on the intelligence
> services trying to crack anonymity and criticizes Clinton for supporting such
> projects.
>
> Rough Transcript:
>
> "We need to pull the rest of American thinking into this in a relevant way.
> Secretary Clinton gave two speeches on cyber stuff while she was secretary.
> And if you're you know you think of the world as security and liberty she
> broke left literally both times in both of her speeches she came down on on
> cyber freedom.  Society at the same time cyber communities out there are
> trying to crack the nut on anonymity on the net because you realize that's
> the root of many many dangers out there as cyber communities just chugging
> away at that. The secretary of state is laundering money through NGOs to
> populate software throughout the Arab world to prevent the people in the Arab
> street from being tracked by their government.  Alright so on the one hand
> we're fighting anonymity on the other hand we're chucking products out there
> to protect anonymity on the net."

I really appreciate the honesty here in Gen. Hayden's statement.

I wish I had seen this earlier this year when I was writing my term paper for
graduation. I was trying to argue that Internet freedom had effectively become
a foreign policy warring venue for the United States after Clinton's Freedom to
Connect speech in February 2011, which was probably the first speech of the
"two speeches on cyber stuff" that Hayden refers to. The speech itself was
likely engendered by things like spikes of Tor usage in Tunisia and Egypt
during the Spring (and the speed in which it followed those spikes is quite a
testament to the quickness of the think tanks advising Clinton's speechwriters!)

What's also interesting is the (perhaps unintentional) distinction between
which governments you're trying to protect people from. You're populating the
software to Arab citizens to prevent specifically their government from
tracking them. This presumably includes other governments that the U.S. wants
to encourage revolutions in, such as Iran, and disenfranchised groups such as
Tibetans.

Here's the thing: you ultimately have two types of software that the U.S. is
interested in funding:

Software Type A: Software that protects useful dissidents and anyone else from
all governments (to an extent), including the U.S. government.
Software Type B: Software that protects useful dissidents in certain countries
from their own governments (that the U.S. wants overthrown because they are
very inconvenient to its foreign affairs, like maybe Iran under Ahmadinejad),
but that the U.S. government itself can crack.

The scary thing here is that the U.S. would, from a realist standpoint, be more
interested in funding type B software than type A software, since type B
software would satisfy both its domestic and foreign goals, while type A would
only satisfy its foreign goals, leaving General Hayden angry and frustrated
with all the money that's being, from his perspective, laundered in order to
create a contradictory, troublesome situation. Maybe we should be thinking
about this!

Personally, I certainly wouldn't call it money laundering, though. A lot of
good has come from this NGO funding.

NK