On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 8:39 PM, Steve Weis <stevew...@gmail.com> wrote:
> $ git log --pretty=format:"%an" drivers/char/random.c | sort | uniq | wc

Guys, I assumed you knew that kernel history was reset a few times. If
you want to approach it thoroughly, you start with all names at [1]
since 2010. Then, download the .tar at [2] and run something like:
  git log --stat
  | sed -n '\@^\(Author: \| drivers/char/random\.c\)@p'
  | sed -n '/^Author/h; /^ drivers/{x; p}'
  | sed 's/Author: //; s/<.*//'

Sort the names, remove variations, and 54 are left [3].

These are just the authors (not even signed-offs), non-trivial commits
are typically posted to linux-kernel mailing list, where they are
reviewed and commented on by anyone who wishes to do so. Moreover,
many companies and developers customize the kernel to suit their own
needs. Number of people who went over random.c over the last 20 years
is most likely in the thousands. I know I applied a patch to get
entropy from the sound card in the 90's myself — this is not some dead
code, and this is definitely not some Java class library project that
got lifted into some corporate JVM spinoff.

In any case, I find this bikeshedding of side remarks pretty annoying,
it is quite pointless.

[1]
https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/log/drivers/char/random.c
[2] http://archive.org/download/git-history-of-linux/full-history-linux.git.tar