My thought is that the reported payments to compensate big corps aren't
enough to justify the opportunity cost.

For example, Room 641A. No doubt NSA is putting some cash in, but the
actual revenue is probably 1/1000th the cost to ATT. Renting rooms and taps
to governments is not a business ATT would enter. It's just too small. They
need revenues in the tens of millions to even consider a product, and it's
unlikely NSA is paying that much.

Where ATT can justify the cost is within its lobbying budget.