I think that's highly relevant to follow a standardization approach
going trough the IETF.

Like applying for an internet-draft first with the draft, subject it to
security/scientific community peer-review, improve during time until it
became an RFC with at least 2 interoperable implementation, re-using
existing internet standard as a baseline for the next-standard development.

We don't need a new end-to-end encrypted messaging protocol, but we need
to improve existing Email standards, so that the technology underneath
would get deployed on standard email client and server software.

--
Fabio Pietrosanti (naif)
HERMES - Center for Transparency and Digital Human Rights