I'm definitely open to supporting XEP-0198. I'm not sure there's a
plugin for the server I'm using (OpenFire) that supports it though. I'll
look around.

I thought OpenFire had problems with chained certificates[1], such as the ones I'm using with intermediate CAcert class3 cert.

This causes my server's TLS connections to an OpenFire server to be regarded as insecure and (since there's no bidirectional server link support in OpenFire) the replying server connection is made in cleartext.

My XMPP server's using Prosody[2]. That's so far the best XMPP server software I've found, especially if the goal - as with your setup - is to be secure. (best feature imho is server-specific verify-by-certificate-hash support the in latest versions, for servers with trusted admins but untrusted CAs or self-signed certs)

Prosody also defaults to sane, recommended encryption settings, have insecure SSL versions, prefer TLSv1.2 etc. (except that there are problems with GNU/Linux distributions like Ubuntu where Canonical etc. disable TLSv1.2 in their system libs).

As long as the chained certificates bug is still present, I would recommend scouting around for other serverside solutions than OpenFire. And it's dead-simple to configure Prosody, you essentially just need your certificates, vhost name and possible conference server setup. Not sure about any migration solutions with OpenFire->foo, though, but there's migration script for ejabberd->Prosody at least. So look around :)

[1] http://issues.igniterealtime.org/browse/OF-405
[2] https://prosody.im/

--
Mikael Nordfeldth