Just one thought to throw out: Something that sprang to mind is the idea of
a check digit or simplified hash that would be redundant enough to collide
very often if you were trying to reverse, but would still provide enough
disambiguation that you'd be able to appropriately determine who you're
dealing with.

You could probably use something similar to the Luhn algorithm for that,
although I'm not sure how uniform that is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luhn_algorithm - also, that only ends up with
a single check digit, which is probably too small for good disambiguation.
The approach in general might still be helpful though.

-Chris