A cleared friend lamented this recently.  (But long enough ago my
memory is a tad hazy.) I believe they told me that they're allowed to
read reports _about_ the material (e.g. a summarizing article) but not
the content themselves.  They wished there was some uncleared, but
'blessed' source from the government where they could read summaries
so they weren't put in uncomfortable positions but at the same time
had some idea of what the hell everyone was talking about.

In an academic setting for a Homeland Security degree, this is clearly
not as good as reading primary materials. But for the Air Force
Institute of Technology, they _should_ have a class that's like
'Breaking Secure Protocols' (say, DNSSEC, TLS, SSH, Tor etc -
universities do of course) and they _should_ read summaries of
published attacks, and such a summary source would include enough info
to augment.

-tom