Brian Conley <bri...@smallworldnews.tv> [2014-02-22 14:58:22]:
> Right, but let's not waste our time on people who don't want to help
> themselves or check for themselves and only believe rumors. Sure tor works
> slowly, but as Nathan pointed out, we have hard evidence that Iranians are
> using Tor:

That's actually the attitude that is responsible for far fewer people
using security-enhancing technologies than should be.

It would serve us well to remember that convenience is paramount for the
vast majority of users (including the vast majority of journalists and
the vast majority of criminals), whether we'd like to pander to
convenience or not.

A 2012/2013 study by Robinson + Yu (albeit done on a very small sample)
on Chinese Internet users showed that speed was amongst the biggest
complaints and was the second most important factor while choosing a
circumvention tool:

http://www.robinsonyu.com/pdfs/CollateralFreedom.pdf

> Of course I don't intend to suggest we should just ignore uninformed users.
> What I do suggest is that to work in solidarity we need to have agreed
> parameters. That means we provide guidelines and we expect people to be
> willing to try certain things as the process.

Good luck finding people who meet your expectations of top-down
guideline-followers.

--
Pranesh Prakash
Policy Director, Centre for Internet and Society