Hi LibTech,

I'm a UX designer and developer working on a few open source liberation
technology projects. Please email me if you would like to learn more, have
feedback, or may want to get involved in any of the projects below. I would
especially like to connect with college students who could be interested in
designing and/or developing these tools together for college credit, and
professors who may want to integrate one or more of the following into a
class project.

*EarthHQ* <http://mitchdowney.com/items/135/> - aka Earth the RPG
(role-playing game): turn our only home and species into a RPG character
and SimCity-style game, with health bars and interactive maps displaying
human quality of life indicators based on aggregated scholarly data.
Eventually we would like to provide not only easy-to-read data, but also
facilitate actions for users to help address each need globally or locally.

*EveryVote <http://mitchdowney.com/items/139/> *- Online election and
townhall meeting platform. Hold a verified election and debate online for
free. The MVP is designed to assist with the 10,000+ university student
elections held worldwide each year. It would be relatively easy to hold
*verified *online elections for university student elections because most
colleges provide each student with a unique email address. Our plan is to
finish the beta this summer, in time for Fall 2014 (Spring 2014 if you're
south of the equator) university elections.

*Partystarter* <http://mitchdowney.com/items/42/> - Create and manage a
political party online. To save time/energy, Partystarter can be built on
the same open source backbone as EveryVote (this backbone would be like a
Wordpress for civic engagement tools). I started designing Partystarter in
response to a blog post by Krist Novoselic of Nirvana and
FairVote<http://kristnovoselic.blogspot.com/2013/12/open-source-party-part-ii.html>,
where he called for the creation of an "Open Source Party" that uses online
direct democracy tools to decide on party platforms and elect
representatives.

*TopVideoTimeline* <http://mitchdowney.com/items/138/> - Automatically
generate a video timeline based on keywords, hash tags, and view count
data. This would be a fascinating and insightful tool for browsing the most
seen videos of recent protests and historical events. Imagine automatically
generated video timelines that tell the story of the Arab Spring, Kiev, the
civil war in Syria, Anonymous, Occupy, etc. through the most popular
internet videos from that time. Ideally videos could be sorted not only by
the date they were published, but also by which videos were most seen on
each day. If the video API data needed to power this tool is already
publicly available, this would be a simple tool to create.

Each of these projects will be open source (AGPLv3), will comply to and
help develop open standards, will be 100% financially transparent (except
possibly TopVideoTimeline), will abide to ethical user data and privacy
practices, and should make its features federation-compatible wherever
possible in order to prevent a monopoly on these public services from
forming.

Any questions, feedback, or interest in collaborating would be appreciated.
You can email me mitch [at] everyvote [dot] org. I can also be reached on
Twitter @m_downey <https://www.twitter.com/m_downey>, and here's my Github
profile <http://github.com/themitchuation>.

Thanks for reading!
Mitch Downey