On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 4:04 AM, Ximin Luo <infini...@pwned.gg> wrote:
> Welcome to 2014. Telegram has more of these, more severe, more obvious, and
> from further in the past. OTR also did not claim they were secure because it
> was written "by a team of PhDs", and a bunch of other disingenuous marketing
> gimmicks.

Thought I would add the precise quote for other butthurt appreciators
on this list:

“The team behind Telegram, led by Nikolai Durov, consists of six ACM
champions, half of them Ph.Ds in math. It took them about two years to
roll out the current version of MTProto. Names and degrees may indeed
not mean as much in some fields as they do in others, but this
protocol is the result of [thoughtful] and prolonged work of
professionals.” [1]

This whole story is simply priceless. Where else would a bunch of
butthurt self-proclaimed “experts” attack a developer and a product
for voluntarily offering a contest for breaking a protocol? With an
obvious conflict of interest, no less. Moreover, the “brilliant”
attack consists of trivial and obvious accusations that the contest
cannot cover certain types of weaknesses, whereas the contest
organizers later paid half the sum to some guy who found a weakness
that was actually not covered by the contest. I am actually laughing
while typing this.

The theme of Ph.Ds also reminds me of some Q&A of Nadim that I
watched, where he referred to potential “people with Ph.Ds” performing
a product review with such reverence that I thought: “Wait, I thought
these guys dismiss education, because they usually don't have any.” I
guess it depends on whether you agree with the Ph.Ds!

[1] https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=6916860

--
Maxim Kammerer
Liberté Linux: http://dee.su/liberte