On Sun, Aug 24, 2014, at 15:19, taltman wrote:
> I don't know exactly what is meant by "eventuality of digital book
> burning", but here's my opinion on the nuts and bolts of protecting your
> data:

I believe we are approaching a Library of Alexandria moment. We have
created an Information Age in which nothing is secure, and deleting
unwanted information ("thought crime") is trivial. Furthermore, infotech
has redistributed power from the people to the government. It would be
naive to expect this power to go unabused. Totalitarianism is in
the wind.

If we really want a permanent archive of humanity's work, we
need to build some kind of distributed Noah's Ark. Archive.org is
no good (book depositories are the first to go when the book-burning
starts), and asking the book-burners at the NSA and GCHQ to guard
our civilization's store of knowledge is laughable on its face.

Something P2P, maybe blockchain-based, might work. Convincing people
of the reality and urgency of the threat is another matter.

Jens

--
J.M. Porup
www.JMPorup.com