John Sullivan <jo...@fsf.org> writes:
>> Nick <liberationt...@njw.me.uk> writes:
>>>The wonderful F-Droid already does this, as pointed out in the
>>>article. So it doesn't seem like a proposal so much as an
>>>explanation of why it's important.
>>
>> F-Droid does a lot of this.  I couldn't find a standard way to get the
>> exact source snapshot a particular app's build comes, nor what the build
>> parameters were, although via the web site the app pages do give release
>> numbers.  They're hard at work on deterministic builds now, apparently,
>> and I would guess that some of these essentially UI fixes will happen
>> along with that.
>
>That info is in the server metadata file for the app (for example the
>git tag for the source that was used to build the app, and the build
>parameters). Probably just needs to be exposed in the UI.

Thanks, John; agreed.  I saw your mail just after I filed

  https://gitlab.com/fdroid/fdroiddata/issues/76

about this very question.  By the way, I've also updated the post at
https://openitp.org/circumvention-tech/app-stores-and-trustable-code.html
to give F-Droid some more credit -- I think I relied too much on those
UI routes existing, when that's not necessarily a reliable indicator of
what F-Droid is doing on the back end.  Had I talked to you or someone
else at F-Droid first, though, I could have discovered just how much of
the proposal was already implemented there!  Sorry not to have done so.

In a private conversation with Brian Behlendorf, he pointed out that
there's a more general version proposal that should really be the goal.
I'd like to do a second piece on his proposal, but as I'm not sure I'll
get to it soon, I'm posting it here just so it has some circulation.
Quoting him (inner text is his, outer text is my reaction):

Best,
-K