Hey Jesse,

Thanks for starting this thread.

On 11/10/2014 09:35 AM, Jesse Krembs wrote:
> Dear all
>
> For a number of years now I've been ponderer the idea of ICT/IS
> consultancy organization focus on the NGO/Activists/Press  (N/A/P)
> markets. The basic idea being that there should be a boutique
> consultancy group that is focused on upping the over all ICT/IS
> game of N/A/P world.

I would argue that lumping those three personas together is your first
headache; in our experience, those three stakeholder groups have
fundamentally different need sets, infrastructures, risk tolerances,
resource profiles etc.

And just "NGO" as a needs profile is its own long tail; for every
multinational United Way or Red Cross with substantial IT departments,
there are literally hundreds of grassroots NGOs where the person who
can type the fastest is "accidental techie" by default and tasked with
web and database planning. And in between lies a weird assortment of
outsourced, part-time and lone-full-timer IT staffing solutions which
are too often janky or worse.

> There are some organizations out there doing this to certain
> degree, (Securing Change, SecDev Group, ONI, Tactical Tech
> Collective). But it feels like many are focused similar but
> different targets, or not sufficiently funded. And funding is the
> most key thing I believe. I don't see a standard fee for service
> model working in this market (There just isn't the money inside a
> client organization), so something else will be needed.
>
> So a couple of questions. 1: Is there already someone doing this?

Our organization, Aspiration, is a US nonprofit focused on the "1
level up" question of "what does an ecosystem of such intermediaries
look/work like?" And it is at present an interesting patchwork of
solution providers across the globe.

Should you happen to be in driving/travel distance, there will be
a good bunch of folks in Oakland next week discussing related
questions at our annual conference:

https://aspirationtech.org/events/devsummit14

> 2: Is there a market for this sort of organization?

Yes and no. It's a question we have wrestled with for over a decade at
Aspiration. Some basic observations gleaned from my own travels:

* As you allude above, the super majority of organizations that need
the offerings of such providers won't or can't pay for it; simply put,
the most common pathology is even if they have the money, they feel
institutional guilt at diverting resources from direct programmatic
investment. Don't even get me started on the non-long-term-nature of
that thinking. And alternately orgs that do have nontrivial tech
budgets tend to invest poorly the majority of the time, at least in my
experience, in part for reasons noted below.

* Thus you are left needing third parties to fund. And that gets into
the many vagaries of NGO tech funding, which we have also studied
quite a bit. You can likely get the latest shiny mobile app or Social
Media <insert buzzword> Project funded, but getting core
infrastructure or basic opsec funded is still a work in progress.
"General support grant" is the great unicorn of NGO tech funding and
we need lots more of those unicorns. I literally thank Edward Snowden
every day that I wake up (really, thank you Mr. Snowden) because
things have gotten notably better in the 18 months since he pulled
back those curtains and institutional funders got a much clearer look
at what might be at risk from an investment and impact perspective.

A related and unfortunate development of the past decade has been the
de facto unification of two NGO technology personas: 1) "eRiders" who
historically have focused on strategic advising of NGOs in a
values-based framework that doesn't prioritize revenue, and 2)
for-hire technology implementors/integrators (e.g. Drupal, Wordpress,
CiviCRM, Salesforce, etc shops). The seemingly turnkey nature of the
latter's offerings has effectively starved the former's market.

The net effect is that too many NGOs get their tech advice from
vendors who are making money off them, a la John Candy in the movie
Stripes coaching his young mentee on how to play poker and then
robbing him blind.

(Blackbaud.com is hands down the most evil manifestation of this
dynamic; they make the devil himself look like a nice old man.)

But there are plenty of web dev shops that don't have the missions of
their clients at the top of their priority queue. We maintain a list
of "ethical vendors" that we share with those we are advising, FWIW.

And we also offer free business advising and free proposal reviews for
NGOs globally, and it kills me every time we get a call of the form
"Was $100K too much to pay for our new basic Wordpress site? My
colleague just told me it might have been..." Face-palm.

I don't mean to be universally disrespectful to NGOs, but I do feel at
times like I am living Groundhog Day, if I may make 2 cinematic
allusions in one post.

I am at the same time heartened by orgs like Witness.org that both
carry out essential nonprofit mission while also innovating
technologically and teaching that knowledge forward to their peers.
But there aren't enough of those fine data points. Which is what
powers our own mission.

SO in summary to your question: there is definitely almost unlimited
demand in the market you posit, but the "transactional" dynamics are
complex to say the least.

> 3: How do you make the funding work?

It's a longer answer than I'm game to type after 10pm PT, but I'm
happy to discuss off list on some audio channel.

The short version of our answer focuses on cost reduction rather than
on fund generation:

* We teach NGOs "minimum viable" thinking coupled with planning for
scale, so they only acquire what they actually need in the near term,
but in a configuration that isn't low-ceiling or limiting over time.

* We teach technology planning processes that draw from community
organizing models and social justice principles so as to focus acutely
on user needs and deliver appropriate tech. We strive to simplify all
tech planning processes into "end user" language. You would be
surprised how much this can reduce costing by holding techies
accountable to explain what they are doing in non-technical parlance.

* If it's not free/open source, it's mostly not an option in our view.
We stress the critical nature of organizations retaining control of
their technology destiny. But yes, there are plenty of places where
free/open offerings don't exist or don't cut it.

- From there we coach on traditional and non-traditional ways to source
the needed funds.

This approach doesn't solve all the challenges, but such processes do
reduce risk, reduce cost, and increase odds of success and
sustainability. I describe it as the project management analog of
"shrink the attack surface".

> Any thoughts on the matter either on list or off would be
> appreciated.

As above, hope it's useful. Been doing this work since the mid-90's
and it still mystifies me too much of the time :^)

peace,
gunner

> Thank you. -- Jesse Krembs

- --

Allen Gunn
Executive Director, Aspiration
+1.415.216.7252
www.aspirationtech.org

Aspiration: "Better Tools for a Better World"

Read our Manifesto: http://aspirationtech.org/publications/manifesto

Follow us:
Facebook: www.facebook.com/aspirationtech
Twitter:  www.twitter.com/aspirationtech