On 12/21/14 11:58 PM, Julio Cesar Fort wrote:
> I'm no expert in cyber war but since when a nation-state intrusion
> involves dropping docs, exposing corporate secrets, leaking upcoming
> movies in Bittorrent and changing the wallpapers of employees's
> workstations? If this was really a government-sponsored attack, it
> sets a very strange precedent that puts nation-state attacks in
> parallel with hacktivists trying to prove a point.

Hacktivists are part of the threat model advanced by the US Executive.
Asserting shared techniques between "[c]ommonly recognized
cyber-aggressors" serves to validate that threat model.

CRS (Dec 15) - "The 2013 Cybersecurity Executive Order: Overview and
Considerations for Congress":
http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R42984.pdf

> Cyberhacktivists
> Cyberhacktivists are individuals who perform cyberattacks for pleasure, or
> for philosophical or other nonmonetary reasons. Examples include someone who
> attacks a technology system as a personal challenge (who might be termed a
> “classic” hacker), and a "hacktivist" such as a member of the cyber-group
> Anonymous who undertakes an attack for political reasons. The activities of
> these groups can range from simple nuisance-related denial of service attacks
> to disrupting government and private corporation business processes.

gf

--
Gregory Foster || gfos...@entersection.org
@gregoryfoster <> http://entersection.com/