On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 12:50:41PM -0500, Richard Brooks wrote:
> Actually, you also need to have source code for the compilers
> used and the compiler's compilers...

Yes, we have those. We have systems completely produced from
source and others that are working on complete reproduceability.

> And that ignores the use of hardware trojans.

No, it puts things in perspective. Hardware backdoors I think
are more likely to be suitable for targeted surveillance, not
mass surveillance. Targeted surveillance is not a problem for
democracy as much as bulk surveillance, so I consider that
progress.

Also having to bring backdoors down into the hardware drives
up the cost of surveillance. That is good. Surveillance must
be expensive if we want democracy to prevail.