Facebook is an identity provider.

GPG is a failed(so far?) system for confidentiality and massively
successful system for managing identity(Hello Debian!)

For their notification system, FB is leveraging GPG as an identity provider
to say" only a person who has a certain private key should be able to reset
access credentials for this account".

It is a totally awesome breakthrough in the use of cryptography for robust,
casual attestation of identity over an insecure channel and it leverages an
existing toolchain rather than inventing a new one.

Initially this is only available to cryptonerds but as the community
fulfills the moral imperative to solve the usability problems it will
become more widely available.