Sean,
Thanks for posting this. I'll be reading the case study this weekend. It's
somewhat relevant to a talk I'll be giving later this month at the Strata +
Hadoop conference, in San José, CA, on Big Data Ethics. I touch on the problem
(read: fraught opportunity & responsibility) posed by the "Big Data" for
government (and also private sector) actors. The Liberia instance
is—lamentably—a good example of (quasi-) state failure that also points, I
think we all hope, to what ought to be done, or more strongly, what must be
done, if the protection of the local, regional, and even global populations is
to be taken seriously by those we elect to be accountable.

-louis