From: Alex Howard <ahow...@sunlightfoundation.com> via <
opengovt...@googlegroups.com>

Hello everyone!

Prior to the inauguration of President Donald Trump, Sunlight joined other
transparency advocates in expressing concern
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2016/12/13/scientists-are-frantically-copying-u-s-climate-data-fearing-it-might-vanish-under-trump/?postshare=3751481645413207&tid=ss_tw&utm_term=.1b2d53ec7c93>
about the future of open government data
<http://www.politico.com/story/2016/12/trump-federal-data-fears-232591> in
the United States. We highlighted the ways an administration could alter
government data
<https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-trumps-white-house-could-mess-with-government-data/>
that fell short of outright removal, from defunding collection to limiting
access to altering data sets. Taking open government data offline entirely
was the most extreme action we anticipated.

Unfortunately, that’s exactly what’s now happened at the USDA. As a result,
Sunlight has begun tracking confirmed news reports of the Trump
administration removing open government data from the Internet and links to
where that data has been archived by civil society. Our page is online here
<https://sunlightfoundation.com/tracking-u-s-government-data-removed-from-the-internet-during-the-trump-administration/>.

If you want to help archive federal open data
<https://sunlightfoundation.com/2017/02/06/how-data-refuge-works-and-how-you-can-help-save-federal-open-data/>,
learn how Data Refuge works
<https://sunlightfoundation.com/2017/02/06/how-data-refuge-works-and-how-you-can-help-save-federal-open-data/>
and pitch in — and if you see data go offline, please let us know
<a...@sunlightfoundation.com>.