Brian Dickens writes:

> The concept is a HTML5 "jQuery" widget you can put on web forms (any
> number of them) which gives the author a redaction pen, to mark out
> sensitive portions.  The sensitive portions are never sent to the
> server, but the rest of it can be.  Then a certificate is generated
> allowing selective revelation to which parties you wish.

Hi Brian,

I'm not sure that you ought to allow people to see the number of
redacted characters.  I know this looks like a nice user experience,
but in other contexts, people have been able to use this information
to more readily guess the content of what was redacted.  For example,
suppose that what's redacted is the name of a person (a witness, victim,
or suspect in a crime, for instance).  Then a third party can test a
hypothesis about the person's identity by seeing if the length of their
name matches the length of the redaction.  That could be especially
damaging if the person's name is unusually short or unusually long.

You might also want to encourage people to think about other
language-based information leaks when redacting.  For example, they
may want to redact additional words to avoid revealing whether redacted
words start with vowels, and to avoid revealing grammatical categories.

--
Seth Schoen  <sch...@eff.org>
Senior Staff Technologist                       https://www.eff.org/