---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: ARTICLE 19 <i...@article19.org>
Date: Thu, Nov 2, 2017 at 12:50 PM
Subject: It’s time to end impunity for attacks on journalists
To: cecilia.tan...@gmail.com

It’s time to end impunity for attacks on journalists
[image: ARTICLE 19, 2017]
<https://article19.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=de9f45d125dffa47919a18815&id=b8f8d0ddd6&e=e031436d73>
In 2017, being a journalist anywhere in the world carries major risks. This
year alone at least 55 journalists have been killed
<https://article19.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=de9f45d125dffa47919a18815&id=318862e361&e=e031436d73>
across
25 different countries. In 2016, the number killed was 102. On top of this,
hundreds more are attacked, threatened, arbitrarily arrested and detained,
and are subject to enforced disappearance.

According to UNESCO only 10% of journalists' killings are fully resolved,
and the perpetrators brought to justice. This impunity drives a cycle of
violence. When perpetrators of attacks walk free, others are emboldened to
commit similar crimes without fearing accountability. This cycle must end.

On International Day to End Impunity, ARTICLE 19 calls on governments
around the world
<https://article19.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=de9f45d125dffa47919a18815&id=1b98e5663b&e=e031436d73>to
make good on their commitments to HRC resolution 33/2 and take urgent steps
to break the cycle of violence inflicted on journalists. Our guide
<https://article19.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=de9f45d125dffa47919a18815&id=9c3e274e73&e=e031436d73>
for
states sets out exactly what governments must do to deliver on their
commitments to safety of journalists. And we call on the media, civil
society and human rights defenders to use our guide
<https://article19.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=de9f45d125dffa47919a18815&id=2aacfde18f&e=e031436d73>
as a checklist to hold governments to their commitments to *prevent*,
*protect* and *prosecute*.

<https://article19.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=de9f45d125dffa47919a18815&id=f2a74b400d&e=e031436d73>
Guide: Prevent, Protect, Prosecute Read our Guide
<https://article19.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=de9f45d125dffa47919a18815&id=4c315dbd11&e=e031436d73>for
states to act on UN HRC Resolution 33/2 on the Safety of Journalists.

[image: ARTICLE 19, 2017.]
<https://article19.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=de9f45d125dffa47919a18815&id=069334abdb&e=e031436d73>
Council of Europe: Impunity for journalist murders must end ARTICLE 19
submits two alerts
<https://article19.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=de9f45d125dffa47919a18815&id=c9bb21fc8a&e=e031436d73>
to the Council of Europe's Platform for the Protection of Journalism and
Safety of Journalists on impunity in the cases of murdered
journalists: Rafiq Tagi and Gadzhimurad Kamalov.

[image: ARTICLE 19, 2017.]
<https://article19.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=de9f45d125dffa47919a18815&id=38c74cb72c&e=e031436d73>
Blog: It’s time to end impunity for attacks on journalists We must demand
genuine steps from States
<https://article19.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=de9f45d125dffa47919a18815&id=a9feed6a72&e=e031436d73>
to end impunity for these crimes.
[image: ARTICLE 19, 2017.]
<https://article19.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=de9f45d125dffa47919a18815&id=a5c1e09eaf&e=e031436d73>
Killing of Daphne Caruana Galizia must be investigated Today we pay tribute
to Maltese journalist, Daphne Caruana Galizia and demand justice for her
killing.
<https://article19.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=de9f45d125dffa47919a18815&id=38101610a4&e=e031436d73>
[image: Like us on Facebook]
<https://article19.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=de9f45d125dffa47919a18815&id=eafc49dadc&e=e031436d73>
Like us on Facebook
<https://article19.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=de9f45d125dffa47919a18815&id=3fe230490d&e=e031436d73>
[image: Follow us on Twitter]
<https://article19.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=de9f45d125dffa47919a18815&id=accb000817&e=e031436d73>
Follow us on Twitter
<https://article19.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=de9f45d125dffa47919a18815&id=4fb6aaacab&e=e031436d73>
[image: Visit our website]
<https://article19.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=de9f45d125dffa47919a18815&id=c6591cd42a&e=e031436d73>
Visit our website
<https://article19.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=de9f45d125dffa47919a18815&id=7c895ebe8c&e=e031436d73>

*About ARTICLE 19 ARTICLE 19 is an independent human rights organisation
which works globally to protect and promote the right to freedom of
expression and information. It takes its name from Article 19 of the
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, which guarantees free speech.*

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons
Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike
3.0 Unported License
<https://article19.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=de9f45d125dffa47919a18815&id=ea66471f1a&e=e031436d73>
.

ARTICLE 19, Registered Charity no. 327421, a Company Limited by Guarantee
registered in England and Wales no. 2097222.