Starchild,

I trusted the figures because the are traced to the Pan American Health
Organization.
You are certainly justified in suspecting any government figures, however.
I am sure every administration tries to push them in their favor.

In general,  Ithough,  believe the thrust of the article is true; Cuba has
devoted a lot
of resources to medical aid for Haiti, and with some success.

The title , calling it the "world's secret" is certainly wrong.  Cuba's
presence in Haiti
was well covered on the Spanish language media available by cable in the US.
I think the "secret" is only kept from most US voters.

In terms of international politics we can see two trends.  The government of
Cuba
has found a way they can compete besides militarism.  The US government does
not want this to happen.  The US government continues to embargo Cuba at the
behest of right-wing refugees from the island.  As usual, the US government is
selling war and oppression; cooperation, even for humanitarian emergencies,
is not on the agenda of the US government.

for freedom,

Harland Harrison
LP of San Mateo County CA