May 16, 2010

  The Great Consolidation
  <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/17/opinion/17douthat.html?pagewanted=print>

            By ROSS DOUTHAT

This feels like a populist moment. Americans are Tea Partying. Greeks
are rioting. Incumbents are being thrown out; the Federal Reserve is
facing an audit; Goldman Sachs is facing prosecution. In Kentucky, Ron
Paul's son might be about to win a Republican Senate primary.

But look through these anti-establishment theatrics to the deep
structures of political and economic power, and suddenly the surge of
populism feels like so much sound and fury, obscuring the real story of
our time. From Washington to Athens, the economic crisis is producing
consolidation rather than revolution, the entrenchment of authority
rather than its diffusion, and the concentration of power in the hands
of the same elite that presided over the disasters in the first place.

Consider the European situation. For a week after Greece's fiscal
meltdown began, all the talk was about the weakness of the European
Union, the folly of its too-rapid expansion, and the failure of the
Continent's governing class to anticipate the crisis.

But then the E.U. acted, bailing out Greece to the tune of nearly a
trillion dollars, and dictating economic terms
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/linkset/2005/03/24/LI2005032401432.html>
to Athens that resemble "the kind of thing a surrendering field marshal
signs in a railway car in the forest at the end of a bloody war," in the
words of the Washington Post columnist Anne Applebaum. If the bailout
succeeds, the E.U.'s authority over its member states will be
dramatically enhanced --- and a crisis created by hasty, elite-driven
integration will have led, inexorably, to further integration and a more
powerful elite.

This trajectory should be familiar to Americans. The panic of 2008
happened, in part, because the public interest had become too
intertwined with private interests for the latter to be allowed to fail.
But everything we did to halt the panic, and all the legislation we've
passed, has only strengthened the symbiosis.

>From the Troubled Asset Relief Program to the stimulus bill, from the
auto bailout to health care reform, we've created a vast new array of
public-private partnerships --- empowering insiders at the expense of
outsiders, large institutions at the expense of small ones, and
Washington at the expense of state and local governments. Eighteen
months after the financial crisis, the interests of our financiers,
C.E.O.'s, bureaucrats and politicians are yoked together as never before.

A similar, quieter consolidation has taken place in the realm of
national security. After campaigning against the Bush administration's
foreign-policy overreach, President Obama has retained nearly all of the
war powers <http://reason.com/archives/2010/04/06/the-914-presidency>
that George Bush took up in the wake of 9/11.

Yes, some of the previous administration's more sweeping claims have
been repudiated. But the basic post-9/11 architecture of executive power
--- expansive powers to detain, interrogate and assassinate, claimed for
the duration of an open-ended war --- looks destined to endure for
presidencies to come.

Taken case by case, many of these policy choices are perfectly
defensible. Taken as a whole, they suggest a system that only knows how
to move in one direction. If consolidation creates a crisis, the answer
is further consolidation. If economic centralization has unintended
consequences, then you need political centralization to clean up the
mess. If a government conspicuously fails to prevent a terrorist attack
or a real estate bubble, then obviously it needs to be given more powers
to prevent the next one, or the one after that.

The C.I.A. and F.B.I. didn't stop 9/11, so now we have the Department of
Homeland Security. Decades of government subsidies for homebuyers helped
create the housing crash, so now the government is subsidizing the auto
industry, the green-energy industry, the health care sector ...

The pattern applies to personnel as well as policy. If Robert Rubin's
mistakes helped create an out-of-control financial sector, then
naturally you need Timothy Geithner and Lawrence Summers --- Rubin's
protégés --- to set things right. After all, who else are you going to
trust with all that consolidated power? Ron Paul? Dennis Kucinich? Sarah
Palin?

This is the perverse logic of meritocracy. Once a system grows
sufficiently complex, it doesn't matter how badly our best and brightest
foul things up. Every crisis increases their authority, because they
seem to be the only ones who understand the system well enough to fix it.

But their fixes tend to make the system even more complex and
centralized, and more vulnerable to the next national-security surprise,
the next natural disaster, the next economic crisis. Which is why,
despite all the populist backlash and all the promises from Washington,
this isn't the end of the "too big to fail" era. It's the beginning.