George Phillies for President 2008

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

*Phillies Defends Freedom of Religion Against Republican Attacks*

Worcester, Mass, April 1:  Libertarian Presidential candidate George
Phillies urged Americans not to repeat a sad error in our nation's history.
"Three centuries ago, Massachusetts hanged nineteen people for witchcraft.
The people of Massachusetts have long since realized that witchcraft trials
are a travesty of justice.

"Witchcraft trials were three centuries ago," Phillies continued.   "Our
Constitution enshrines freedom of religion.  Do our elected officials want
to return to 1690?  Alas, some Republicans do.

"In Summer 1999, Congressional bigots campaigned for Army persecution of
members of the Wiccan faith. Republican Senator Thurmond demanded Wiccan
services be excluded from the military.  In an ABC News interview,
then-Governor George Bush announced 'I don't think that witchcraft is a
religion.'  The charge was started by right-wing Georgia Congressman Bob
Barr, who urged the Army to ban Wiccan services from military bases.

"Bigotry is a key theme of right-wing Republicanism, going back to the KKK
and Concerned Citizens Councils," Phillies said.  "Like all other patriotic
Americans, Libertarians believe that Freedom of Religion
is for everyone. No real Libertarian will ever ask that a religion's
harmless practices be banned. This Fall, please take a stand against
Republican bigotry. Please vote Libertarian."

--

Cites on Barr, et al.

http://www.firstamendmentcenter.org/news.aspx?id=18556

http://bluegrassredstate.blogspot.com/2007/05/northup-asks-fletcher-to-explain-his.html

DOMA, which he continues to defend
http://steeleskentucky.blogtownhall.com/2007/05/19/the_blue_grass,_red_state_corkscrew.thtml

http://kyprogress.blogspot.com/2007/05/recorded-phone-message-i-got-last-night.html

http://www.trincoll.edu/depts/csrpl/RINVol2No2/wicca.htm

To support the George Phillies campaign, please visit
http://ChooseGeorge.org/donation <http://phillies2008.org/donation> today.

To arrange an interview or obtain a short quote from the candidate, contact:
Carolyn Marbry, Press
Director
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(510) 276-3216