Gary,

I had an extended "discussion" with Zack in July of this year about
Retribution vs Restitution. Here are a couple of starter links if you
care to review the postings: (These are my postings. There are other
links contained within and after the postings.)

<../../../../message/14794>

In the last link, I recommend the book "The Enterprise of Law--Justice
without the State" by Bruce L. Benson in which he traces the gradual
replacement of the RESTITUTION system of early Anglo-Saxon society with
the Retribution system after the Norman invasion, and how the United
States Revolution discarded the English King/Monarchy system of
government but retained the King's Retribution legal system, which
rewards the State, but leaves the victim with nothing but higher taxes
to support the prisons and the court system, a feeling of loss (which is
very real) and yearning for vengeance.

Dennis

--- In LibertarianEnterprise@yahoogroups.com, "Gary F. York"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Zack Bass wrote:
> > --- In LibertarianEnterprise@yahoogroups.com, "Gary F. York"

> >> The part where you begin to initiate force
> >> rather than defend yourself against it.
> >>

> > I never do that.
> > "DEFENSE" is not the only thing that NAP allows!  Duh.  If one guy
> > INITIATES Force and then stops, and the other guy GETS EVEN, that is
> > certainly not Defense but it is not Initiation.  The First Guy
started it.

> You never "get even"; you always end up odd.  And you will always
> interpret the other guy's "getting even" as an initiation of force.
> (See, for instance, your constantly ravening neighbors.)
>
> You don't get to be judge in your own case; you're too likely to rule
in
> your own favor.  (Even government judges sometimes recuse themselves
if
> their self-interest is too blatantly at issue.  Their reputation for
> objectivity might suffer.)
>
> Last but not least, I do not recall anywhere in my extensive reading
of
> the literature which upholds NAP where force is ever justified by
> anything save defense.  But perhaps my memory fails with age.
Pointer?