Yes, we must all pause to honor America's dead who have given so much of
themselves in our various military endeavors.  But please excuse me if I demur
over the salutes that they died to preserve our freedoms.  I can recall no war,
especially of the twentieth century that even came close to being about our
freedoms.

World War I and T. Woodrow Wilson's goal 'to make the world safe for
democracy?'  That's a product more of Wilson's inflated sense of himself than
reality and 'the war to end all wars,'  reminds me more of Saddam Hussein's
'Mother of All Wars' farcical statement as Desert Storm began.

World War II?  The FDR White House had spent months provoking Germany and Japan
into an attack.  Hitler wouldn't bite but Japan did.  Even FDR's supporters
acknowledge that those 2,700 American dead were sacrificed for FDR's for the
puposes of getting us into the war.  It was traitorous and its goal was
only preserving England and the Soviets.

Korea?  Harry Truman  completely usurped what was left of the Constitution.
Today's 'conservatives' are generally silent about it, probably because we were
then opposing an approved enemy.   They've forgotten the uproar by
true conservatives who were appalled at Truman's unilateral action.

Veit-Nam?  Everyone accepts that at least one of the Gulf of Tonkin attacks
didn't occur.  And how would we have felt if an East German or Chinese war
vessel had stationed itself that close to our coast?

Desert Shield and Desert Storm?  Again, what possible threat?

Our current dual wars in Afghanistan and and Iraq?  What happened to 'letters
of marque and reprisal'  to bring in Osama bin Laden or Hussein?

The entire Cold War was based upon the premise that we were sold after WWII.
"Oh, if we had only stood up to Hitler at Munich."  Bull.  As Patrick J.
Buchanan documented in  "Hitler, Churchill & an Unneccessary War, the only
people who thought it at time to be a sellout were bloodthirsty Germanophobes
like Winston Churchill.   At the time, the throngs were a dozen deep to
greet Neville Chamberlain when he returned.  So, it became 'if not Viet-Nam,
then Hawaii.'

Few stopped to consider the fundamental flaw in the logic.  If communism
couldn't even feed its own people, how could it ever have been an industrial
and consequently a military threat to us?  We now know that after Stalin died,
the Politburo floated an offer to ratchet down the Cold War.  John Foster
Dulles turned it down.

So, yes pay tribute to those who gave their lives.  They behaved honorably for
a lot of people who didn't.
 Roderick T. Beaman,D.O.
Board Certified Family Physician
Protect freedom. Disarm the government.