The big engineering problem is the pressure.  It is true that submersibles
can (and have on both) get there.  Divers can not.  If a remote submersible
is there there is really no reason for a manned one to go, IMO.  So the
problem is not putting a boat down there so much as what are you gonna do
with it once you get there.  You have extreme pressures and a pressure/temp
that will freeze/precipitate methane and 70K PSI coming out of a broken well
head.  Could NASA fix this?  Sure...in twenty or thirty years and a trillion
dollars or so later.

--
Earl

T]he government of the United States is a definite government, confined to