On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 02:53:15PM -0600, Tony Arcieri <t...@medioh.com> wrote:
> For what it's worth the EventMachine library (a Ruby library with a custom
> C++ native extension) supports kqueue for filesystem events, although I

well, anybody is free to use it. the problem is that ev_stat watchers
cannot use it, it's strictly not powerful enough.

> don't know what platforms they use it on or how reliable it is.  Apple
> claims kqueue can be used for filesystem monitoring, in addition to their
> own proprietary fsevents API:

I haven't looked into fsevents (seems to be rather high overhead, but
possibly good enough to implement ev_stat), but I don't think I will ever
try to support anything os-x specific. They can't even implement basic
unix functions anywhere correctly, and from my experience, their custom
stuff is even more broken. Not that apple cares, and not that I would care
for apple, in the sense thta I will try to keep libev working within the
limits of the platform (just as with windows).

> OS X is may main platform of interest here, if you haven't inferred that
> already.

I pity you :)