On Thu, Dec 08, 2011 at 11:33:01PM +0100, Hongli Lai <hon...@phusion.nl> wrote:
> > I doubt they're actually fully implemented in OSX's llvm-gcc 4.2.1.  Do you
> > have any supporting documentation or research on that?
>
> All I know is that they compile and that they seem to have effect.

Which leaves these issues unresolved:

- other versions than you happen to use (older/newer)
- other "branches" of llvm (apple has it's own antique version of llvm)
- current and future libecb use(r)s that rely on other gcc features

> you saying that the compiler might have no-op stub implementations for
> some of those attributes?

as one possibility, yes.

> > 4.2.1 that OSX shipped with 4.2.1 was a pretty tragic mistake on their part,
> > IMHO.  It's a branch of code that upstream considers deprecated and
>
> That's pretty bad. Still, this broken compiler is now in the hands of
> millions of people who are extremely unlikely to be able to change
> their compiler any time soon.

millions of people sounds rather inflated to me, but apple actively fights
free software such as ecb, and supporting apple is, imho, detrimental
to the well being of ecb and other free software, given that free
alternative compilers that work (both gcc and llvm) are easily available
and installable.

      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /      schm...@schmorp.de