On Sun, Dec 22, 2013 at 2:42 PM, Marc Lehmann <schm...@schmorp.de> wrote:
> If you regenerate the configure script you need to use the exact same
> version of automake as libev uses - unfortunately, automake doesn't have
> much backwards or forwards compatibility, as you have seen.

Yes, we regenerate the configure script

> Indeed, automake-1.14 is the wrong version as you have seen (1.11 is the
> correct one afaicr).

Using automake-1.11 is also a solution, and sounds good to me
I'm fine if you don't want to introduce those changes
and thanks for let me know

> This is definitely a bug introduced by gentoo (and
> really, distributions really really shouldn't try to "fix" or "improve"
> upstream code without discussing it first - it's not really our job to
> debug hacked libev versions in distros if you silently modify libev, you
> are on your own).

Since this is a build error(which I think it's trivial), so we fix it
*first* instead of discussing with upstream , (i personally don't
think keeping bugs open and affect many users would be a good idea).
Although the solution we find now is not perfect.

But I'm always open to cooperate with upstream to find better
solution,  that's why I sent this patch. I do *not* want to maintain
patches which won't be accepted by upstream, and try my best to avoid
this.

for why we need to re-generate configure file, because we carry libev
pkg patch (which I sent patch before and been rejected). I'm trying to
upstream patches first, but if fail, then we fall back to carry
ourselves.

> And as a last comment, this is a bug (or another incompatible change) in
> either automake or autoconf - autoconf does not require macros to be on
> their own line, and the dnl syntax is documented as well.

yes, this is indeed introduced by automake-1.14, changes to AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE
but, for information why dnl discard the newline, refer  this [1]

[1]
http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/autoconf-2.67/html_node/Macro-Definitions.html
"Keep in mind that dnl is rarely needed to introduce comments; dnl is
more useful to get rid of the newlines following macros that produce
no output, such as AC_REQUIRE."

[2] http://www.gnu.org/software/m4/manual/m4.html#Dnl