There is a conflict between the programs needing libevent (ex. i3) and those needing libev (ex. Qt-5.9.2), which is the latest as far as I know. For example, the I3 window manager requires libev to build it, as it uses headers from there (ex "ev.h"). In building Qt-5.9.2, reference is made to the following function:

int event_base_loopbreak(struct event_base *);

This function is defined in libevent.so, and declared for the compiler in event2/event.h. Both of these objects are part of the libevent package (ex libevent-2.0.22). The /usr/include/event.h header of the libevent package conflicts with that of the libev package. The libev package does not define the "event_base_loopbreak" function required, in this case, by Qt-5.9.2, and the libev package cannot be installed as is along with the libevent package. If the libevent/libev header conflict is not resolved, then the packages requiring one of these must be patched. This can be rather complicated, particularly for large packages like Qt. This would also have to be redone for each new release.

Thoughts anyone ? Is there a better way ?