On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 09:27:09PM +0200, Rainer Giedat wrote:
> Hi,
>
> while reading some code which used buffered events, i saw that
> you really have to define callbacks for read, write and error,
> even if you do not care about one of them.
> Is there a reason for that?
>
> This ends up in ugly code, defining empty functions as callbacks.
> The problem is, that bufferevent_new enables EV_WRITE and
> EV_READ regardless of beeing defined not NULL. (On OpenBSD only
> EV_WRITE currently)
>
> If there is no reason for that, i would suggest to apply the
> following diff. It fixes the problem for me. :)
>
> Thanks for the great work Niels.
> So long...

Well, w/o this behavior it might be impossible to integrate this w/
OpenSSL.

Just to complete a read through an SSL/TLS stream, you may need to first
complete a write (for instance, when re-keying or other protocol management
work) which can actually occur quite often. I never figured out how to make
this work cleanly w/ libevent's buffered I/O API. Maybe it's just not
possible, period, so it doesn't matter.

- Bill