You shouldn't be getting error conditions in this case.  Remember,
bufferevents are implemented using the underlying operating system's
networking API, which typically will not alert you to errors except during
a read, write, connect, or other similar network operation.  If reading and
writing are disabled, Libevent won't be doing network operations, so it
can't notice errors.