On Tue, Feb 28, 2023 at 03:24:46PM +0100, Laszlo Ersek wrote:
> On 2/28/23 14:01, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 22, 2023 at 08:20:43PM +0200, Andrey Drobyshev wrote:
> >> Since commits b28cd1dc ("Remove requested_guestcaps / rcaps"), f0afc439
> >> ("Remove guestcaps_block_type Virtio_SCSI") support for installing
> >> virtio-scsi driver is missing in virt-v2v.  AFAIU plans and demands for
> >> bringing this feature back have been out there for a while.  E.g. I've
> >> found a corresponding issue which is still open [1].
> >>
> >> The code in b28cd1dc, f0afc439 was removed due to removing the old in-place
> >> support.  However, having the new in-place support present and bringing
> >> this same code (partially) back with several additions and improvements,
> >> I'm able to successfully convert and boot a Win guest with a virtio-scsi
> >> disk controller.  So please consider the following implementation of
> >> this feature.
> >>
> >> [1] https://github.com/libguestfs/virt-v2v/issues/12
> >
> > So you're right that we ended up removing virtio-scsi support because
> > in-place conversion was temporarily removed, and it wasn't restored
> > when the new virt-v2v-in-place tool was added.
> >
> > I looked at the patches, and I don't have any objection to 1-4.
> >
> > Patch 5 is the tricky one because it changes the default, but we
> > (Red Hat) are likely to stick with virtio-blk for better or worse.
> >
> > Could we make this configurable?  We've traditionally shied away from
> > adding virt-v2v command line options which are purely for fine-tuning
> > conversions.  The reason for this is that when you're doing bulk
> > conversions of hundreds of VMs from VMware, you want virt-v2v to do
> > "the best it can", and it's not really feasible to hand configure
> > every conversion.  (There are some historical exceptions to this, like
> > --root, but don't look at those!)  I know the bulk conversion case
> > doesn't apply to Virtuozzo, but it does matter for us.
> >
> > It could be argued that this isn't the same, because if we're bulk
> > converting, you're not fine-tuning virtio-scsi vs virtio-blk per VM,
> > but per target hypervisor.  So a command line option would be OK in
> > this case.
> >
> > BTW previously we "configured" this preference through the input
> > libvirt XML.  That was a terrible idea, so I'd prefer to avoid it this
> > time around.
>
> Ah, that's new information to me. I thought the "rcaps" (requested caps,
> derived from the input XML) was exactly what was missing here. Not
> because of the particular reason(s) that may have motivated rcaps in the
> past, but because in the use case at hand, the tweaking of the domain
> XML precedes the conversion (more like, the injection of the desired
> virtio drivers).
>
> Why was it a terrible idea?

It was a hack.  For copying (normal) conversions -i libvirtxml
describes the input metadata.  For in-place conversions "input" is a
fuzzy concept, so it was overloaded to describe the conversion
preferences.  We can do better with a command line parameter.

> > Anyway if you can think of a better version of patch 5 then I think we
> > can accept this.
>
> ITYM "if you *cannot* think of a better version"...
>
> But anyway, if a command line option is acceptable to you, I'm perfectly
> fine with it as well. I'd like to avoid changing the default. I quite
> foresee tens of QE test runs breaking, resulting in as many bug reports,
> and then us eventually reverting the change-of-the-default downstream.
> I'd rather favor an experimental command line switch.

Yes I'm sure we don't want to change the default; or at least we
(meaning Red Hat, downstream) want to choose whether and when to
change the default.

BTW/FYI we don't ship virt-v2v-in-place in RHEL (we do in Fedora).

Thanks,

Rich.

nbdkit - Flexible, fast NBD server with plugins
https://gitlab.com/nbdkit/nbdkit