Hi,

  From the current status of the code in parallel.h, it looks like
mpi_comm_free is called only when _I_duped_it is true, which is true only when
Communicator::duplicate() is called.

  I think the communicator created using split() also needs to be destroyed
using comm_free. But since _I_duped_it is not set to true with split(), it does
not seem like comm_free would be called when the communicator goes out of scope.

  I would appreciate if someone could confirm this.

Thanks,
Manav