I see.

So, I am defining a class that inherits from nonlinear_implicit_system, and
calling  get_linear_solver() on that.  This gets to the implementation in
implicit_system, since the nonlinear_implicit_system does not define an
overriding function.

Instead, there is one defined in  linear_implicit_system, but that is a
different code path.

-Manav